Sunday, September 21, 2008

Eastward Ho!

We loved Denver so much, we extended our stay to 2 days. Then we drove across the entire length of Kansas to stay with my cousin Jonathan who's a college student in Lawrence. Many thanks to Kansas for my first ever speeding ticket (no, that's not a real jail, although the ticket was real). Despite the fact that it's located in Kansas, Lawrence is a cute little college town. We went to a "DiscObama" fundraiser, checked out a band, and chilled with my cuz.

The next day, on our way to St. Louis, we stopped in Colombia, MO to say hi to my cousin Emily, who's a student there. It was a week filled with the Eisen family, which was so nice because I rarely get to see them! After a quick overnight stay in St. Louis (thanks Rick & Marci!!), onwards to good ol' NYC, more familiar stomping-grounds.

We stopped to spend the night somewhere near Allentown, PA. It was a looong 14-hour day of driving. The next morning, up and at 'em to NY, NY! We stayed with my college friend Ches at his new digs on the shore in Brooklyn. Despite the Brooklyn driving woes, we had a terrific visit with friends, saw some music, and I even randomly ran into a friend from Maine on the street!

Then it was on to a new destination for me, but familiar ground for Mel: Cape Cod. Ahhh, how lovely, especially in contrast to the bustling city. Thanks to Mel's grammie, we got to have a leisurly visit, picnic on the beach, and of course I got to see old photos of Mel and hear tales of her childhood. The Cape is so gorgeous, and it was nice meeting Mel's family. We even saw a seal surfing the waves in knee-deep water.

No comments: