Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Final Farm

Well, what excuse do I have for the lack of blogging except... I live in my car! I will summarize the past month in the next few blogs, provided you ask me for more detailed stories when I return to Maine in less than two weeks! (Look out Common Ground Fair, here I come!)

After El Vado Ark, we took a week-long vacation in Santa Fe. Our generous friends Kaylyn & Allison put us up for the whole week. They have the most adorable mutt, Sparrow. I love her. Our hostesses showed us the city in all its dog-park, taco-drive-through, flea-market, bar-hopping, shopping splendor. PLUS, we got to watch much of the beginning of the Olympic games, so we were often glued to that novelty called a television set.

We hadn't had enough of NM, and we were running out of money, so we decided to apply to another farm in the area. We ended up spending a week in Medanales, just north of Santa Fe, with two women who own & operate a ranch with a 100-year-old adobe house. Part of the building is a kiva, a room traditionally used in pueblos for ceremonial purposes. Gloria & Liz teach Toltec practices there. The women and their space were so peaceful and warm, I didn't want to leave!

On the mesa overlooking the ranch is the archaeological site called Leaf Water, which is believed to have been an irrigation site for pueblo-dwelling people around the mid 1200's. Here is a view of the ranch from the top of the mesa:
We also took some time to visit Abiquiu Lake, which was beautiful, and we all went to an Obama rally where Hillary spoke. Our time spent in Medanales was one of the highlights of country living on this trip.

No comments: